MY GO-TO EVERYDAY TOMATO SAUCE
* I highly recommend you make this sauce days before you need it. It gets remarkably better after being in the fridge for awhile - like at least days early!
Also yes, I use white wine. I find red wine too acidic & with the acid already present in the tomatoes, you don't need it. Also, using white wine means you don't need to add sugar.
3 ripe tomatoes, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 C of white wine (I like the taste better than red!)
1 tbsp of good sweet & syrupy balsamic vinegar
1 bottle of strained tomatoes or 1 can of whole tomatoes
1 bunch of basil, fresh always, chiffonade
1 tbsp each dried oregano (add 1 tsp for the roast tomatoes) & crushed red pepper flakes
1. Preheat oven to 425. On a cookie sheet covered in parchment, add tomato slices. Drizzle olive oil and dried oregano on top and bake for about 20-24 minutes until slightly charred on the edges. Flip halfway through.
2. Caramelize onions with olive oil in a big sauce pot until brown. Should take about 18 minutes. Add garlic & rest of dried seasonings.
3. Add white wine to deglaze. Add strained tomatoes, balsamic vinegar.
4. Add roast tomatoes & cook for another 10 minutes. Add basil.
5. Blend with an immersion blender. Add bay leaf back in & avoid eating it.